My name is Sam and I’m a 41-year-old mother to 5-year-old Elliott and 1-year-old Jake.
Gosh! So many ages in the first sentence I hear you cry! Well there’s a reason for that. You see, in the UK if you’re over 35 when you have your babies you’re classed as a Geriatric Mother. A delightful term I’m certain you’ll agree.
Tactless medical labels aside, when I was pregnant with both boys I loved to soak up anything pregnancy related on social media. I loved watching ‘what’s in my hospital bag’ videos on You Tube and gender reveals. Trouble was, I couldn’t find anyone I could truly relate to. Most mums-to-be were in their twenties or early thirties at the most. I got bored of the older mother not being represented and so I decided to do something about it and, erm, here I am.
I’ve found there’s an odd representation of age on social media with a lot of the Influencers in their thirties talking about being 40 (and the ones in their twenties talking about turning 30) as if it’s so old and ‘past it’. As if reaching the big 4-0 means you have to start wearing sensible twin-sets and handing over the reins of your social media accounts to your younger niece. I’m here to disrupt that narrative and hope you’ll join me on my journey.
What can you expect from the blog?
Well, I’ll write about age but I’m not going to dwell on it! So, wrinkles aside, expect a mix of:
- Mum hacks – if I know of an easier way to get something cleaned, organised or sorted, don’t worry I’ll share it with you.
- Recipes and meal planning – I’ll be focusing on cheap eats for the family mostly.
- Play and ways to entertain the kids – whether that’s days out, toys or educational activities.
- Pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, babies – I’ve had two boys now and, whilst I’m no expert, I’d like to think I’ve learned a few things along the way.
- OOTDs (Outfits of the day for the uninitiated) just because I’m over 40 doesn’t mean I’ve given up (DISCLAIMER: I write this during lockdown when I kind of have).
- Beauty probably with an age-related slant.
- Lifestyle and things I love.
- Fabulous over 40 – the women who are proving that over 40 doesn’t mean over the hill.
- Inspirational quotes.
- And who knows what else…
The fact that you’ve stopped by means the world to me. Stick around and enjoy!
Why not leave a comment and let me know where you’re from? I love reading other people’s blogs so feel free to leave a link to yours too.
[…] About […]
[…] also got a mention on the Kidbo blog, which makes me very happy indeed. Hello if you’ve found my blog from […]